View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
erich03

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43+ View Post
Don't put all the blame on the parts manager.

We have a huge amount of obsolescent parts that are the fault of the service dept.

IE:
1: I ordered the part just in case I needed it.
2: That part didn't fix the problem and we need another part.
3: Service lane parts diagnosis that was wrong.

Our Service dept is a whole lot more INCOMPETENT that the Parts Dept.

Additionally:
1: All the over-the-counter screwballs that didn't pick their parts up. It was cheaper at the auto parts store.
2: Returning parts for BS reasons.... especially the wholesale customers and body shops.
3: Salespeople selling accessories that people really didn't want.

MANAGEMENT Not Listening to the "Writing on the Wall" they were given many years ago by the Parts Manager.

If you want to play the " BLAME GAME ", then put the blame into a correct perspective.

Everyone is to blame... not just just the Parts Manager.

Everyone else's POOP doesn't stink. Yea... it's easier just to blame the DUMB people in the Parts Dept.

I speak from my OWN experiences... I do not speak for all. I would resent any BLAME put solely upon my head. I warned management at least 10 years ago of the problem and how to cure it. That's what happens when Management thought they knew better than I do.

We were at $6000 obsolescense 10 years ago when I put my foot down and was ignored. We are now at near $60,000 thanks to MANAGEMENT..... not me.

10 years ago we had a 6% return reserve. When the nonsense exceeded the 6%... nothing more was returnable.

I got rid of all the obsolescence when GM gave everyone a 1 time to shot to return everything with no penalty. After that, the problem still escalated. Not my PROBLEM! They were WARNED!!!

43+
Ultimately, it is my responsibility for anything that happens in the department now. I have to take the blame, get the ass chewing, and catch all of the crap that rolls downhill for anything any of my employees do. So, that is why I said in my earlier post that it was lack of management. I can also say, in my case, that the lack of management caused a lack of training. One of my people before I started was just going into RIM and clicking temporarily exclude becuase "thats what the manager told her to do."

Can't blame someone for doing what they are told.........

However, you are absolutely correct about the service dept ordering a "test" part, or the screwball over the counter bringing back the part because he ordered the wrong one, etc. Ill give you that. Certain things are going to happen no matter what you do. It just boils down to how the manager manages, and how he or she keeps tabs on what is going on.

Management, you are correct, seems to know it all. Even when it breaks, and you have already told them it needed to be fixed, somehow they still end up being right and knowing what to do........

I didn't mean to stir the pot (although that is what I do best) when I made this post. I was simply trying to find some advise on getting rid of my obsolescence...............................
erich03 is offline   Reply With Quote