View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 09:19 AM   #21
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
The additional thought you need an answer to is, " if I send the part back for credit, and they reject it, do they return it to me and charge me shipping or can I tell them to scrap it?"

If it is junk on the shelf, and they will scrap it, then it might be worth the paperwork effort to ship and see if the part sticks. R.E.M. re the parts center is manned by the UAW.
That's a great question.

A Parts Manager would definitely have to factor in the risk of having parts rejected if there was a fee/shipping expense associated with each returned part.

I wonder if many of the OEMs outsource the parts return process? I would have to think it would be very expensive to restock parts if the depot was using UAW labor to sort the returned parts.

Back in the old days at Chrysler I know they used depot employees to sort the returned parts and a lot of the parts were scrapped even though the dealer received credit for returning the part because it was cheaper for the depot to scrap the part than to pay the labor to restock the part on the shelf.

It was also rumored that the Depot Manager would have an employee follow the truck to the dump to ensure that the scrapped parts were destroyed and could not be re-use or re-sold.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote