View Single Post
Old 01-14-2016, 08:36 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
I also wonder if part of the fear is that they will be left holding the bag for a loss if the driver wrecks the car, insurance doesn't pay because it was used for commercial purposes. If I recall correctly Uber doesn't specifically require commercial insurance for drivers on the basic Uber plan. Their version of the "black car" program does require commercial auto insurance.
That's an interesting thought.

I know that Uber and Lyft are supposed to provide some level of insurance coverage while the driver has a fare but I'm not sure if that coverage would cover collision damage to the driver's vehicle. Additionally there was controversy in the past because Uber's coverage didn't start until the fare was picked up. (As I recall, an Uber driver who was driving to pick up a fare hit a pedestrian and Uber indicated they were not liable because their coverage only started once the customer had been picked up. Uber may have changed their coverage since then based on public outcry.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
I don't know if I would ever risk the unknowns to drive with Uber, but many people do and usually the cars are pretty presentable. Only one time did I end up with a ride in a car that was truly a heap.
Interesting.

I've read that there are people who will rent out their Uber/Lyft approved vehicle to other people who want to drive for Uber/Lyft but don't have a vehicle. That's pretty close to going full circle to the taxicab business model.

Additionally, I've read that some Uber/Lyft drivers do not pay any income taxes because the IRS mileage allowance is less than the money they receive from Uber/Lyft.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote