View Single Post
Old 07-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #27
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
I understand there is a break in period, but not everybody agrees with it. Some people feel like you should drive it like you stole it, while others (like me) feel you should let the car settle in for a few hundred miles before getting on it. I will say that I have been tempted numerous times to test the car in sport mode, but I haven't done it yet. Usually the car is in comfort (default setting) or eco-pro (namely around town). You can feel a big difference between all three settings. The thing is, though, the car will get up to 80,90, 100 mph in any mode if you aren't paying attention.
Break in periods seem to be a thing of the past with most OEMs I guess.

The most recent articles I've read indicate there's some value in varying the RPM range to allow the rings to seat. In the same vein I've read that it is not good to take a new vehicle on a long road trip where it will stay at the same RPM for an extended time.

By contrast, when I read a forum dedicated to PWCs (Personal Watercraft) break in periods are still a big deal. SeaDoo actually restricts the power that's available from the engine for the first ten hours of operation and apparently the ECU tracks the percentage of time the engine has been at WOT (Wide open throttle) during the break in period - essentially tattling on the owner if the engine comes in for a warranty repair.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote