View Single Post
Old 03-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default Super Bowl IX

For those, like me, who were wondering when those immortal words were spoken, the answer is during a commercial in Super Bowl IX. (January 12, 1975)

Here's a excerpt of what I found with my Google Search:
Robert B. McCurry, Jr., former vice president of sales and marketing for Chrysler died almost three years ago. (This article was written in 2009)

So what?
Never heard of him?

Perhaps not directly, but because of a marketing ploy he developed more than 30 years ago, retail advertising has never been the same.

McCurry holds the dubious distinction of inventing the factory (or manufacturer’s) rebate.

The gimmick was originally introduced in a half-time TV commercial during Super Bowl IX. Former professional baseball player turned sports commentator turned advertising pitchman Joe Garagiola announced that those who purchased a brand new Plymouth Duster or Dodge Dart would receive a $200 check directly from Chrysler.

“Buy a car, get a check,” Garagiola said, without one single wardrobe malfunction. It proved to be pure genius. Sales rocketed the very next day as Ford and GM scrambled to catch up.

XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote