View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
bigolyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterM View Post
Navigation cannot be added to first generation 8.4 radios that came without that feature.

The new 2nd generation 8.4 radios feature one model that comes without navigation, but in which the navigation option can be "unlocked" for a fee (model RA3). This radio debuted on the 2013 Ram, and will be phased into to other Chrysler vehicles in the next year or two. The 2013 Viper will launch with it next, followed by the refreshed 2014 Grand Cherokee which launches in Q1 2013.

The RA4 is a step up from the RA3 and comes standard with premium navigation and HD radio. The navigation system in the RA4 comes with features that you do not get when adding navigation to an RA3 (such as "dead reckoning").

Upgrading the RA3 for the nav feature is an easy process, as bigolyt noted it requires the dealer to open a RO and call Chrysler. A 22-digit activation code is then emailed and simply entered into the radio activation screen.

If a vehicle comes from the factory with an RA3 radio you cannot upgrade/replace it with an RA4.
Good info....

So since my dealer doesnt know the ins and outs, maybe you can tell me

Does the 8.4a's unlocked NAV use the same system as the 8.4n? but just looses some functionality? Are there any other things lost as far as the NAV piece? I know the HD radio and Sirius Link arent on the 8.4a.

Last but not least... price?!
bigolyt is offline   Reply With Quote