View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I haven't had a chance to read the links yet but I'm guessing a V6 engine is no longer that important to buyers of mid-sized vehicles as long as the four cylinder provides adequate power.

It reminds me of the days when Chrysler was pushing their 2.2 liter turbo four cylinders because they didn't have a V6 that would fit in a FWD vehicle.

On a different note, it appears Ford has positioned themselves very well in the event gas prices spike upwards again. (Both with cars and trucks.)
Regarding the V-6 model, I believe the take rate for the 4 cylinder in mid-size sedans is higher than the V-6. I guess Ford saw that and decided that was the way of the future. My concern is that Ford (and Chevy, Buick, Hyundai)are leaving themselves wide open for a competitor to come in and offer a smoother, more powerful engine. Not everybody wants to deal with a turbo. We saw that when Chrysler Corporation had nothing but 4 cylinder turbos to offer in its mid-size sedans.

On the flipside, there are rumors that there could be a performance Fusion coming out with a V-6 engine. I guess we'll see.

Ford is certainly going for the mpg crown and that looks to be the right move. However, one can over-think this fuel efficiency thing and produce nothing but small-engined products with weak performance. Let's hope Ford doesn't go that far and understands that people still want a good combination of power and fuel economy.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote