View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by March88toDecember05 View Post
NY does not require a notary public to acknowledge the signature on the back of the title. The Notary Public is hardly making a windfall on this type of thing. Notaries Public are allowed under NY state law to charge a nominal fee (such a small amount that it is hardly even worth it). I am guessing that in these Craigslist ads (depending on state laws which are likely similar to NY) the fee charged is broken down in some way, e.g. $2.00 for the acknowledgment & $28.00 travel fee). Additionally, in NY Notaries Public bear significant personal liability for negligently or falsely acknowledging signatures. Again, hardly worth the small fee to justify "making a business" out of it.
Thanks for the information. I agree with your point that for the minimal fee you're allowed to collect in New York it's not worth the liability to be a Notary Public.

That said, I'm betting it's a viable business for Notary Publics who are willing to skirt the law in Arizona. Maybe I'm wrong, but the impression I get is there are a lot of undocumented workers in Arizona and I don't think they'd be willing (or able) to go to a bank or some other formal business and have their signature notarized. Like most things that are government controlled, I wouldn't be surprised to learn there's a "black market" to address Arizona's notary requirement.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote