DealershipForum.com

DealershipForum.com (http://www.dealershipforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions (http://www.dealershipforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Barrett-Jackson - Scottsdale 2010 (http://www.dealershipforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1716)

XDCX 01-24-2010 10:21 PM

Barrett-Jackson - Scottsdale 2010

I had a chance to attend the Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction in Scottsdale on Thursday and spend many hours watching the coverage on Speed TV. (That mostly explains why I haven't spent much time on the forum for the past several days.)

Although there were still dozens of cars that sold for $100K+ it was very clear the value of collectible cars has taken a hit just like the stock marker. Based on historic prices, some of the Hemi E-bodies and Superbirds looked cheap.

possum 01-25-2010 04:46 AM

I love watching the auction, and "someday" I want to attend it. I'm thinking about making the trip to Palm Springs in April.

MARV 01-25-2010 09:10 AM

My wife and I are HUGE fans of BJ. We even watch the reruns.

LJS 01-25-2010 10:12 AM

A fellow Auctioneer I work with once a week at a Manheim auction works out there as a ringman. He is a really good auctioneer but he is a way down the line for a turn to get on the block. I'd darn near give my right arm to sell out there, it's kinda like being in the world series for an auctioneer.

possum 01-25-2010 10:22 AM

The big difference however, is speed. At Manheim, things are moving fast! The buyer has to be ready. At BJ, the buyers seem to have forever to decide.

XDCX 01-25-2010 11:17 AM

I wonder how many sellers buy their own car?

Given that Barrett-Jackson runs a no-reserve auction I'd love to know what percentage of the "buyers" are people who simply repurchased their own vehicle because the price was too low?

I noticed on several occasions the person who made the winning bid didn't look happy. I kept wondering if it was the owner of the vehicle expressing his frustration that he just took a 20% hit and still needs to haul the car home. :confused:

It also seemed odd that the Minter T-Birds all sold for $95 - $100K when identical looking T-Birds sold for $30 - $40K less. I know that Minter has a great reputation, but I still have a hard time believing their restoration warrants a $40K premium. (My suspicion grew when Craig Jackson cited the selling price of the Minter T-Birds as evidence that the collector car market is still strong.)

XDCX 01-26-2010 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by possum (Post 13637)
I love watching the auction, and "someday" I want to attend it. I'm thinking about making the trip to Palm Springs in April.

I would definitely recommend it, I had a great time. :)

I went with my dad so we only spent half a day at the auction. Because we went on one of their slower days the ticket price was only $10/ticket and allowed us access from 5 p.m. to close.

I also noticed that Barrett-Jackson is adding an auction in Orange County this year. At some point I'm thinking people are going to question why they're paying 20% commission for a vehicle transaction, but in the mean time it's interesting to follow.