DealershipForum.com

DealershipForum.com (http://www.dealershipforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Service (http://www.dealershipforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Adding Navigation to 2013 Ram Trucks with UConnect 8.4A Radios (http://www.dealershipforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3231)

79LilRedExpress 10-15-2012 10:02 PM

Adding Navigation to 2013 Ram Trucks with UConnect 8.4A Radios

Quote:

....but it still seems odd that Chrysler doesn't have an easy upgrade feature that allows people to add Navigation to a 8.4" display that doesn't have it.
The factory must have heard about you're request X-MAN !

The UConnect 8.4A (RA3) Nav-Ready is now avail for 2013 RAM Trucks

Activation is $595/$520 Program ID# 39CDT charged to the parts acct and has a six month "free Trial"

The (RA4) has Nav standard with a 12 month service inc'l.

The charge is for the package of services as well as the actual Navagation feature.

XDCX 10-16-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79LilRedExpress (Post 29993)
....but it still seems odd that Chrysler doesn't have an easy upgrade feature that allows people to add Navigation to a 8.4" display that doesn't have it.

Activation is $595/$520 Program ID# 39CDT charged to the parts acct and has a six month "free Trial"

The charge is for the package of services as well as the actual Navagation feature.

Interesting. Are all of the 2013 Rams with the 8.4" UConnect going to be upgradeable or is there a version of the 8.4" that's not Nav-Ready?

I love the idea that customers/dealers can easily add navigation to an existing non-nav display but I'm wondering if Chrysler's already added the GPS antenna.

bigolyt 11-22-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79LilRedExpress (Post 29993)

I just bought a 2013 Ram P/U with the 8.4A (RA3) unit. Dealer knew nothing about getting NAV functioning and after telling them to figure it out, they said it was "an app I download" from the uconnect store. After researching it on my own, I found that it was $595 (still have yet to confirm from the dealer yet). I know how to get into dealer mode on my Ram, so I did, but it wouldnt let me activate. I call uConnect, they had to call the dealer and send them 5 pages of directions on how to do it, still had no price. I called the dealer, they said I need an RO opened and they have to have the Service Manager call Chrysler to get this activated, at this point Im like WTF. So long story short, I need to schedule my "NAV Install" and im scared to know what they're going to charge me for it.

MisterM 11-22-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XDCX (Post 29969)
...based on what I've read, adding Navigation to the 8.4 UConnect Display can easily cost $1,800+ and it's not an easy job.

Navigation cannot be added to first generation 8.4 radios that came without that feature.

The new 2nd generation 8.4 radios feature one model that comes without navigation, but in which the navigation option can be "unlocked" for a fee (model RA3). This radio debuted on the 2013 Ram, and will be phased into to other Chrysler vehicles in the next year or two. The 2013 Viper will launch with it next, followed by the refreshed 2014 Grand Cherokee which launches in Q1 2013.

The RA4 is a step up from the RA3 and comes standard with premium navigation and HD radio. The navigation system in the RA4 comes with features that you do not get when adding navigation to an RA3 (such as "dead reckoning").

Upgrading the RA3 for the nav feature is an easy process, as bigolyt noted it requires the dealer to open a RO and call Chrysler with the 22-digit request code. A 16-digit activation code is then emailed and simply entered into the radio activation screen.

If a vehicle comes from the factory with an RA3 radio you cannot upgrade/replace it with an RA4.

bigolyt 11-22-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterM (Post 30423)
Navigation cannot be added to first generation 8.4 radios that came without that feature.

The new 2nd generation 8.4 radios feature one model that comes without navigation, but in which the navigation option can be "unlocked" for a fee (model RA3). This radio debuted on the 2013 Ram, and will be phased into to other Chrysler vehicles in the next year or two. The 2013 Viper will launch with it next, followed by the refreshed 2014 Grand Cherokee which launches in Q1 2013.

The RA4 is a step up from the RA3 and comes standard with premium navigation and HD radio. The navigation system in the RA4 comes with features that you do not get when adding navigation to an RA3 (such as "dead reckoning").

Upgrading the RA3 for the nav feature is an easy process, as bigolyt noted it requires the dealer to open a RO and call Chrysler. A 22-digit activation code is then emailed and simply entered into the radio activation screen.

If a vehicle comes from the factory with an RA3 radio you cannot upgrade/replace it with an RA4.

Good info....

So since my dealer doesnt know the ins and outs, maybe you can tell me :)

Does the 8.4a's unlocked NAV use the same system as the 8.4n? but just looses some functionality? Are there any other things lost as far as the NAV piece? I know the HD radio and Sirius Link arent on the 8.4a.

Last but not least... price?! :)

MisterM 11-22-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigolyt (Post 30424)
Good info....

So since my dealer doesnt know the ins and outs, maybe you can tell me :)

Does the 8.4a's unlocked NAV use the same system as the 8.4n? but just looses some functionality? Are there any other things lost as far as the NAV piece? I know the HD radio and Sirius Link arent on the 8.4a.

Last but not least... price?! :)

Not sure yet if the 3-D city models, landmarks & digital terrain modeling that is on the RA4 comes with the RA3 nav update. RA3 also does not have Sirius Traffic.

As 79LilRedExpress noted the MSRP for the upgrade on the Ram is $595 MSRP, but I have heard that some dealers will be charging a lot more.

bigolyt 11-22-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterM (Post 30425)
Not sure yet if the 3-D city models, landmarks & digital terrain modeling that is on the RA4 comes with the RA3 nav update. RA3 also does not have Sirius Traffic.

As 79LilRedExpress noted the MSRP for the upgrade on the Ram is $595 MSRP, but I have heard that some dealers will be charging a lot more.

3D models are not supported because the RA3 is 8GB and the RA4 is 16GB.

bigolyt 11-23-2012 12:24 PM

I just got the NAV activated on my 8.4a RA3 at my local RAM dealership (not the one I bought it at) and they didnt charge me... I think that its so new that they didnt know they had to. Or they just mark it up a lot and try to make more money off it.

I had to explain to the service guy what it was, and they looked up the TSB to figure out HOW to do it :)

I'll let you know if it does in fact have 3D maps when I get to a bigger metropolitan area. There is an option to enable the 3D maps on this one though, so thats promising.

XDCX 11-27-2012 10:44 AM

Adding Navigation to 2013 Ram Trucks with UConnect 8.4A Radios

I decided to split the conversation about adding Navigation to the 2013 Ram Trucks away from the thread about the Chrysler 300 Limiteds and create a new thread.

I thought the possibility that some Service Department employees may be activating a customer's Navigation without collecting any money warranted its own thread. I can see this mistake being made by many dealerships and it could cost several hundred dollars before the problem is identified and corrected.

XDCX 11-27-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigolyt (Post 30433)
I just got the NAV activated on my 8.4a RA3 at my local RAM dealership (not the one I bought it at) and they didnt charge me... I think that its so new that they didnt know they had to. Or they just mark it up a lot and try to make more money off it.

Well, if the Service Department didn't charge you anything to add Navigation to your UConnect 8.4A (RA3) I'm betting that someone will have some explaining to do when the dealership gets charged $520 by Chrysler. :parnoid:

I'm guessing that's the reason Chrysler wants the dealership to open a Repair Order so the dealership will have a method to track the revenue and expense.

Concerning excessive mark-up to add Navigation, my guess is some enterprising CJDR dealership will offer to complete the activation process via the Internet for a reduced price.

CL Pgh 11-27-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigolyt (Post 30433)
I'll let you know if it does in fact have 3D maps when I get to a bigger metropolitan area.

3D map won't work. The only other thing not already mentioned is the TFT screen won't display directions as the 8.4N will.

XDCX 11-28-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CL Pgh (Post 30473)
3D map won't work. The only other thing not already mentioned is the TFT screen won't display directions as the 8.4N will.

Thanks for the information - that's interesting. I didn't realize there were that many differences between Chrysler's 8.4 Radio with Navigation (RA4) and the 8.4 Radio without Navigation (RA3.)

From a dealer's perspective, which 8.4 radio makes more sense for Ram Trucks you're ordering for dealer inventory? Is it better to have a cheaper MSRP with the ability to add Navigation or will some customers refuse to buy a Ram with the RA3 because it will never be as capable as the RA4?

CL Pgh 11-29-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XDCX (Post 30474)
From a dealer's perspective, which 8.4 radio makes more sense for Ram Trucks you're ordering for dealer inventory?

The 8.4 radio (A or AN) has been & still is a required option on Ram 1500 Big Horn packages and higher models. The 8.4AN (nav unit) just recently became available for order in the last couple weeks and quite frankly is the way to go. The wholesale difference between the two radios is only $425 (msrp $500) and the AN-Nav unit gives you a few more pieces than I originally thought.

As for that “free” nav download… I’m wondering if the dealer simply signed-up the truck for the no-charge trial version. ???

XDCX 12-03-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CL Pgh (Post 30484)
The 8.4 radio (A or AN) has been & still is a required option on Ram 1500 Big Horn packages and higher models. The 8.4AN (nav unit) just recently became available for order in the last couple weeks and quite frankly is the way to go. The wholesale difference between the two radios is only $425 (msrp $500) and the AN-Nav unit gives you a few more pieces than I originally thought.

Thanks for the information. If there was no difference between the two radios once Nav was added through the Service Department I'd be inclined to order the cheaper radio for new car inventory. That said, I agree with you that for the minimal amount added to the Invoice it's probably a lot smarter just to order the 8.4AN and be done with it.

Quote:

As for that “free” nav download… I’m wondering if the dealer simply signed-up the truck for the no-charge trial version. ???

That's a great point - I didn't even think of that... :)

bigolyt 12-28-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Is there a way to find out what version they did? Everything I've been reading is that its non transferable, non refundable, so my assumption is that the NAV is what it is for the life of the vehicle. Im assuming the map updates would be what has an annual cost? But do you think the actual NAV will stop working after the trial? Icon goes bye bye?